Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Why do some steroid based treatments for bipolar disorder cause weight gain.?

A good frends daughter has bipolar but the extra weight gain is most upsetting for her
Answer:
Steroids cause weight gain. That is why athletes take them-they help build muscle
Mine did. She can try a different medicine.
Steroids are renowned for causing severe weight gain. If the weight gain is irritating her disorder than she is going to have to speak to her doctors about changing to a different medication, that isn't steroid based
If this is one of the first medications she has tried, she could see if another without weight gain as a side effect works for her. My doctor knew to keep me off anything that would make me gain weight, but I'm still happily stablized. Ultimately, her mental health is more important, but significant weight gain can also be detrimental mentally an physically.
All steroids tend to produce some weight gain. Part of this is fluid retention, part is increased appetite and part effects on muscle and fat metabolism.

I must say I have never seen MD treated with steroids. They can certainly affect the disease, but my understanding was they could sometimes uncover or precipitate it!
I don't know why they do but i'm on steriods for Addisons disease, something I will have for life so i will be on steriods for life. My consultant said that I wouldn't gain any weight but i put on 3st in 3 months. I was 8st and i'm now 12st8. Steriods do increase appetite and they will make you gain but if you eat healthly you can combat it. It is upsetting but it does ease off and you can lose the weight. I wish your friends daughter all the best. and I hope she realises she is beatuiful regardless of her size.
not sure why but all steriods make people gain weight. You usually also gain muscle which is heavier then fat, Unfortunately there is not much that can be done about this one

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Why do i feel Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net