Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Why does everybody think they're bipolar? Is bipolar the wastebasket diagnosis?


Answer:
There are people out there who are truly bipolar, but I do agree with you, there does seem to be a lot of bipolar diagnoses out there recently. It's kinda the new "trendy" diagnosis in mental health, so it seems.
It does seem to be a suspiciously common diagnosis.
You are so right. Don't people know their moods change several times every day depending on what is going on around them?
I think they just want excuses to be able to do whatever they want whenever they want and not have to answer for their bad behavior.
Bipolar, Depression, Manic Depression, etc. -----different names for the same thing.
I don't "think" I'm bipolar. I trust the doctor that said I am.
Nice analogy. We've rationalized general bad behavior into a pet diagnosis by doctors just to start pumping them with behavioral drug for a lifetime.

When are we going to learn these drugs designed to inhibit negative feelings may also be altering reason, judgment, shame, guilt, and remorse.
When I was in my late teens, I saw a counselor after a bad breakup for about 30 minutes (we talked about the breakup and how sad I was). She recommended my university psychologist, so I met with her later that week. After 10 minutes of questions, the psychologist prescribed Wellbutrin and told me I had a mild case of bipolar II. I had no idea what it was at the time.

I am SO glad that those records are destroyed and will not haunt me into my future, as that was the ONLY episode of depression I've ever had and with good reason - my first real relationship had just ended!

Anyhow, I think the fault lies more in the mental health profession than in everyday Joes. Same with ADHD (a real disorder, but severely overdiagnosed)
I prefer to call them severe mood changes

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Why do i feel Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net