Sunday, October 25, 2009

Why can't I get over this?

I was physically threatened at my last job by a co-worker who was later promoted to supervisor and harassed by my manager and her boss. Both were because I was on light duty because of back injury. I am now working at an awesome company and have been through surgery and have a hard time talking to the manager about any type of pain or physical problem. My manager is awesome and I know he won't give me problems. It is also necassary to discuss this stuff because the job is extremely physical with 10hr shifts. I am sooooo paranoid and try to hide it from co-workers and everything even though the surgery is not work related.
Answer:
I, too, had a back injury and went through massive physical therapy. My boss at the time was all about taking care of yourself (don't sweat the small stuff kinda boss). He was kind and understanding. When he retired he was replaced with this shmuck from Wales who was the biggest snob in the world. I had finished physical therapy but still had pain and then later sciatica that was worse than the original injury. The new boss acted like I was only in pain to get out of work. (My old boss would let me work from home! I would take my laptop home and answer calls from my bedroom as well as do the rest of my job.) This was unnacceptable to new boss. So, I would call in sick and still work from home or come in anyway and be miserable. It got to the point where I would dread him coming in to the office. He eventually laid me off after 15 years of dedication. I have had a hard time even thinking about going back into the work force since then and am now a stay at home mom.

I think that you are suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. You went through a bad period and cannot help fearing that it will happen again - not the back pain but the abuse. You are doing the right thing if you are talking to counselors. Keep with it and you will be fine. I also had the panic and anxiety attacks. Not fun!!

Good luck with this. As my mom used to say, "This too shall pass."
Yes, I think that it is important that you discuss your health issues with your boss. If you dont let him know, later you might put yourself at risk for more damage.
I kind of believe in PHYSICAL realities and so, well I see this is under the "mental " section... It seems that you need to speak with a PHYSICAL "real doctor" about your back pain... Is your problem not knowing how to approach your manager to ask about "time off" to go to the doctors? oR ?
If you're worried, I would get a doctors note explaining the situation and your restrictions (if any). That way the note can do the explaining and you won't have to. Also, it will help your employer to have some physical documentation.
hello, i think its a good idea to let your boss know, about your condition. but dont try to make it sound like. oh i'm hurt, mmmyyyyy leg mmmmyyyy back. type stuff, let he/she know your limits. but also let them know. you can care ur own. ok
Your Dr. can help you out here.
Ask for a written letter from him explaining your limitations and approximately how long it will be.
Also in the letter, should be weight limits for your lifting, or hour limits for being on your feet / working.

Ask your supervisor to go with you to give the letter to your boss. Having the letter in hand will do much of the talking for you. You can be there to answer any questions.

In a physically strenuous job, employers are very much wanting to know when a worker has a physical condition that may limit their health or working capacity. They will also want to know if you are on any medication that should not be taken when using machinery. (They don't want to be sued)
talk to the superviser in private and ask that no one else is made aware of the situation
It appears you are having perspective issues. Somehow you are not separating your past from your present, and have somehow allowed the egregiously unfair treatment by superiors (who knew better but didn't care) to follow you into your much better job and work environment.

Somehow, you have discover or create a way to distance yourself from that time of your life. Just because those people didn't know how to be professional should not be a hindrance to your enjoying your new job completely. Your new boss is such a nice person, he may also be very understanding about your back and need for lighter duty on certain days. Especially if you have proven yourself to be an asset.

Talk to him. Be completely up front and honest about your back and don't worry about your co-workers. since he is such a great boss, he should handle your news well. This will also open the door for you to be honest with him on the days your are experiencing discomfort.

Don't worry about your co-workers. They should relate. If they were in pain, the boss should be told so that he could take appropriate action.

Relax, enjoy being in a better work environment with a great boss!

Hope I helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Why do i feel Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net